Juha, this is not a bad idea, but quite difficult if you have a difficult
structured object.

For example, my helper is a table with three columns all with a different
background. Your way would be slicing the helper and having a one px space
where my cursor is. Very interesting indeed, but also needs performance
because of this:

1.) on drag start, you have to clone the object 4 times and wrap a div
around every object.
2.) then set the outer div to overflow: hidden and resize each of them like
a puzzle around the cursor
3.) Then move every 4 along with the cursor

I will test it, we'll see!