> > Hmm, defaultValue returns undefined but is that safe to use?
> >
> Dunno, but may solve the problem. If the value is empty and the
> defaultValue is undefined, return the text content as the value, for IE.

Unfortunately IE6 has an undefined 'defaultValue' for options with no
value attribute and for options that have a value of the empty string.
 And in both these cases the actual value resolves to have identity to
the empty string.  I have not figured out how to distinguish between
no value and an empty string value in IE.  So far, the lesson learned
is to always use the value attribute!

Mike