> "off the top" I would suggest seeing if the value attribute exists on
> the selectedIndex <option>. If it exists, use this value. If not, use
> the innerHTML of the <option> (or empty string if there is none) ?
> Perhaps this is too much overhead?

Yes, that's a good thought but IE is too slippery.  getAttribute(..),
val(), .value, et al, all return "identical" values whether the
attribute is missing or it has an empty string.  And the value
attribute for an option always exists whether or not it appears in the
markup.  defaultValue doesn't help either.

> (and it's probably in the forms plugin already... ;))

Nope, but it will be when we solve this!

Mike