Chris Domigan wrote:

> Having your scripts broken down into several functions isn't at all an
> ugly
> way to do things. IMHO everything should be in a function except for
> globals. Makes program control a lot easier :)

See following 3 different ways to do the same thing. When referring to
"silliness" I was referring to the second one, with all its callbacks and
such. Last one looks quite nice and compact, but as createSeed-function
would be called from more than one function it would make sense to keep it
as seperate function. In first one, it is function of its own (notice
'false' as last parameter for $.post, meaning asyncronous = false), even
when usage of global variables for this kind of purpose probably isn't
encouraged.

However, I think I'll use the last one, as createSeed isn't very large
function.

var seed_id;
var seed;

function createSeed() {

   $.post('login/login.php', {action:'createseed'}, function(data) {
     results = data.split('|');
     var seed_id = results[0];
     var seed = results[1];
   }, false);

}

function validateLogin() {

    createSeed();

    [..send seed_id, hashstring and login information to server for check..]

function createSeed(callback) {

   $.post('login/login.php', {action:'createseed'}, function(data) {
     results = data.split('|');
     callback.call();

function validateLogin() {

    createSeed(function() {