I have a table that contains a 'delete' link for each item, eg:

javascript: void(0); Delete

This is the function that does the work:
function deleteState(stateIdVal) {
        delText = $("#delete"+stateIdVal).text();
        if (delText=="Delete") {
                $("#delete"+stateIdVal).text("Really delete?");
        } else {
                //actual deletion stuff

I just want to change the link text to that it has to be clicked twice for
confirmation.
$("#delete"+stateIdVal).text();  retrieves the text without problem but I
get an
error message when I try to set it.  I've found information on how to change
the
attributes of a link, but not the text itself.  Its always the really basic
stuff that
seems to trip me up.