http://www.nabble.com/%24.val%28%29-limited-in-functionality--p7351019.html

> Perhaps it is time to merge the form plugin's method with
> the .val() method in the core?

I think the outcome of the past month's discussion was this:

1) .val() will be dead in jQuery 1.1, as will all of the macro properties.

2) It's easy to get the value of a non-input element with .attr("value").

3) Mike Alsup added fieldValue to the form plugin to get the value that
would be used for the element if the form was submitted.

Once .val() is well and truly dead, you can include the form plugin and
create a custom .val() that uses fieldValue.