Since the 7th click is reproducible, and has little to do with the issue,
you can discard the value, with a simple note... years of stat classes!

conclusions:
running thru the whole dom looking for a class is slow.
looking for an ID (which should be unique) after getting the tags is
worthless.
looking for a class after getting a subset of the dom is faster than
searching the whole dom.
Safari is almost always faster than ff!
Just what was expected!

GREAT WORK!