It's supposed to be that way! if you slip that < stuff into your page it
should appear as <!

Since the xml is correct xml and you are concerned about things like the
carriage returns, you have properly encoded them.

Since there is no DTD or schema for the xml you can also write it all
without CDATA , and get the xml as it is parsed. (with the returns in it,
but under a pre node.