David Duymelinck wrote:
> Putting post data in a session isn't a good choice because cookies and
> sessioncookies have a limited file size.

Ermm... the session data is not stored in the cookie (thank god). Therefore
filesize for regular POST-requests should not be a problem.

Storing huge amounts of data in the session file is totally possible,
although mostly not recommended. You might get a big performance hit.
Termporarily storing a few kB's of POST data is not a problem at all,
however.

I've seen programming leakage that resulted in session files of several
megabytes, causing some minor slowdowns, but still functioning 100%.

Sessions are incredibly handy and powerful, if used correctly. I'm not
recommending dumping all your data there, but you shouldn't avoid storing
some stuff for the duration of the session. That's what they were built for.

And as suggested earlier, it's better to keep your auth data in the session.
Permanent cookie is ok for picking a theme though.

--
Suni