Whenever you're puzzled why a certain line never gets executed, consider
that your code might have thrown an exception and died.

I've found that wrapping the suspicious code with a try/catch block

 try{ .... } catch(e){ alert(e); }

is very helpful.

Especially when your code gets called by a link click or a form submit()
event - the exception means your function doesn't return properly,

which means it doesn't return false, and the browser changes the
document location, which might prevent the exception from showing up

in firebug or the javascript console.

- Dotan