I discovered jQuery via Cody Lindley's Thickbox script and will warn everyone
that I have only a very basic understanding of javascript (despite several
years' worth of ASP, PHP, etc).

That said, I'm running into a problem using jQuery 1.0.4 with other scripts
that use the Prototype library.  Per the notes on the jQuery site, I have
redefined $ in jQuery as JQ, and I have changed $ to JQ in the Thickbox
script accordingly.  It is working well for displaying image galleries.

However, there are times when jQuery uses the merge function internally and
that's when there is a problem.  In most places in the jQuery script, merge
is called as jQuery.merge, but on line 1000 it is called as $.merge.  When I
use a Thickbox function that requires the merge functionality (though
Thickbox never calls merge directly) I get an error message that says
"TypeError: $.merge is not a function".  If I then switch to the
uncompressed version of jQuery and change that line to use jQuery.merge
instead of $.merge it seems to work fine.

Also, through testing I have noticed that this problem does not occur with
the copy of jQuery.js (rev 249 dated 8/31/06) that comes with Thickbox 2.1.

So... is this a bug in jQuery 1.0.4 or am I doing something wrong?  And if
it is a bug, will there be a new compressed copy of jQuery.js produced?
Obviously I'd rather use the compressed version, but I don't know how to do
this myself.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Paul