That's way more complex than need be.

By definition, the first table cell of the first row is also the first cell
in the table, so $("#photographTable td:first") should be perfectly fine.
And there's no need to run an each, as click will run fine on the jQuery
object returned by the query.

$("#photographTable td:first").click(function() { // code }); should work
great.

-- Yehuda