Seems to me that there were some posts a while back about code profiling
maybe in firebug that would tell you how many calls you made to what
functions and maybe how much time you spent in each function, maybe not
this. But this would be the first step to optimizing your code. If you
don't know where it is spending all its time then you don't know what to
fix. You could also wrap function calls with a timer and log the times
to the console.

-Steve