> to cause the error in my small example available on my site. It seems that
> it has to do with two ajax calls. When the second one takes place before the
> first one is finished... at least that's what I *think* it is.

What's happening here is that "SecondCall()" is invoked as the
document is parsed.  You initialize the blockUI stuff in a
document-ready block which runs *after* that first ajax request is
sent.  So the first invocation on the block plugin is an unblockUI
call instead of a blockUI call.  I'll update the code to guard against
this, but you can (and should) also move the ajaxStart/stop code
outside of doc-ready.  It doesn't need to be there, and in this case
creates a problem for you.

<script type="text/javascript" scr="jquery.js">
<script type="text/javascript">
    $().ajaxStart($.blockUI).ajaxStop($.unblockUI);
    // other stuff
</script>