Hmm.. i read it again, and I understood you have different boxes and they
all have different z-index, right? So if I undestand correctly when you stop
moving one, they all come back to 1, losing the different positions they
had.

I think you could add their old z-index variables somewhere in markup, like
an attr or something then you can recall them when you need it. It's just a
though but I'm not sure it's the best.

Good luck.