There's a reasonable explanation of the jQuery object in the Visual jQuery
Magazine at http://www.visualjquery.com/magazine/issue1.01.pdf

On 1/16/07, PragueExpat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks for the explaination. The reason for my request was my curiosity of
what exactly makes up the JQuery Object. For example, I didn't understand
that [0] is a reference to the first DOM object.

I ran this to try to look at the Object (using 1.04):

<head>
<script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>
</head>
<form>
<input id="test" class="test" type="text" name"test">
<input id="test2" class="test" type="text" name"test">
</form>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
$(document).ready(function(){
  var t = $(".test");
  var s;
  for (property in t)
   {
"+t[property].toString();
   }
   document.write(s.toString());
});
//-->
</script>

---------------------------------------

and learned quite a bit.  (Although the page never fully loads, not sure
why). Anyway, I would recommend looking at this page for anyone who wants
learn more.

(If there is a better way to look at the Object, please post here)

- Rich

malsup wrote:

>> I second the request for a good understanding of what the JQuery object
>> is.
>

> The jQuery object is just a JavaScript object (like Date or Array).
> It encapsulates zero or more DOM elements and lets you manipulate
> those elements using the jQuery API.
>
>     var jq = $('.myClass');
>
> The statement above selects all elements that have a class of
> 'myClass' and wraps them in an object - the jQuery object.  Once those
> elements are wrapped in a jQuery object you can use the jQuery API to
> do all kinds of things with them.  Like show them all:
>
>     jq.show();
>
> or add a click event handler to all of them:
>
>     jq.click(function() { alert ('I was clicked'); });
>
> or access each of the selected DOM elements:
>
>     jq.each(function(i) {
>         // 'this' is the DOM element inside the 'each' method
>         this.innerHTML = 'my index is ' + i;
>     });
>
> That's really the nuts and bolts of it.  jQuery lets you easily select
> elements in the DOM and do something with them.  It's selection
> capabilities are very powerful and very fast.  And it's API is quite
> extensive.
>
> You'll also find that most of the functions in the jQuery API return
> the jQuery object on which they operate.  This means they are
> chainable and this is great when you want to do more than one thing
> with the selected elements.  The examples above could be combined into
> a single statement like this:
>
>     $('.myClass').show().click(function() {
>         alert ('I was clicked');
>     }).each(function(i) {