Well I figured out a workaround:

All I had to do was use this code courtesy of
learningjquery:

$('a#toggle').click(function() {
$('#messengers').slideToggle(400);
return false;

works perfectly, with no jitter :
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/usersentry3.php?id=1

Frustrating as I downloaded the Interface plugin
thinking it would simplify things, but I can use the
built in jquery function and have it work with no
problems. Crazy how that works sometimes, I guess!
Would be nice to know why the Interface code adds
unsightly jitters and moves the div around sometimes.

thanks,
-kim

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/userentry2.php?id=1