Klaus:

Have you by any chance checked if this works in Safari with an image? (Flash
is fine.) It looks like this is essentially a scripted version of this CSS
trick:

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/background2.html

...which breaks in Safari. It distorts the image in the direction you resize
the window rather than scaling it proportionally. So I'd been trying on and
off for a little while now to do what you've done here, and failing. But I
just tried your plugin, and the behavior seems the same. I was just
wondering if it was something I was doing.