If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is comet?

On 1/30/07, Glen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The new hipness is comet (new for me, @ least), & this plugin will
take care of the inconsistencies between browser capability for
streaming.

- For IE, it uses the ihtmldocument2/iframe hack, as used with gtalk
& described in http://alex.dojotoolkit.org/?p=538
- Mozilla & Opera use xmlhttprequest, with slightly different
implementations.
- Safari & Konqueror (webkit) currently is not supported, due to lack
of support for xmlhttpreqest's interactive readystate.  I have not
tried to adjust the iframe technique for this browser engine yet, so
I don't know if it's possible.

Comet still requires a server-side component for efficient
processing, but @ the simplest level, all that's needed is a while
loop with a sleep call (example uses this technique).

I don't consider this a full release yet, as there are several
modifications I plan to make, but feel free to comment & offer
suggestions about how to make it more efficient.

Example:
http://empireenterprises.com/_comet.html

-g

Aaron Heimlich