I'm at work now and was able to compare my customizations to the normal
JDMenu code.  Here are the changes I made.  First of all, after:

                var x = 0, y = 0;
                var li = $(ul).parent();

I added this line:

                var liTop = li.offset().top;

I also changed this:

                                ul.$auto = true;
                                $(ul).css({     width:  w - (bl * 2) + 'px',
                                                        height: h - (bt * 2) +
'px',
                                                        zIndex: '100' });

To this:

                                ul.$auto = true;
                                if ($(ul).ancestorsUntil('ul.' +
CSSR).filter('li').size() == 1) {
                                        var ulCSSObj = {        width:  w - (bl
* 2) + 'px',

height: h - (bt * 2) + 'px',

top:    liTop + 'px',

zIndex: '100' }
                                } else {
                                        var ulCSSObj = {        width:  w - (bl

height: h - (bt * 2) + 'px',

zIndex: '100'}
                                }
                                $(ul).css(ulCSSObj);
                        }

These changes allow first level submenus to appear under the main menu item
even if the main menu item has shifted to another row.