You should check out "Preventing Unwanted Access to Your API"[1] at the Zend
Developer Zone[2]. For a more general overview, you should check out
"Cross-Site
Request Forgeries"[3] by Chris Shiflett.

Another thing you could do is check for an "X-Requested-With" header

$_SERVER['X-Requested-With'] == 'XMLHttpRequest';

And bail out if it's not there or isn't equal to "XMLHttpRequest". This will
prevent your scripts from being loaded via the browser's address bar, but
keep in mind that someone could still fake the HTTP headers, so this is best
done in combination with the other methods I mention.

[1] http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/ZendDeveloperZone/~3/81373192/1616
[2] http://devzone.zend.com
[3] http://shiflett.org/articles/cross-site-request-forgeries