Chris,
I am currently doing this with a link that is being create on the fly and
this is how I am doing it.

       $('.edit').each(function(){
               buildPanel(this);
           $(this).click(function(){
               return false;
           });

buildPanel = function(elem){
   try{
   $.log('LOG: buildPanel();');
   var href = $(elem).attr('href');
   var strUrl = "common/el/" + eval("views." + href);
   if($('.jqmWindow').length == 0){
       $('body').append('<div class="jqmWindow" id="ex1a"><div
id="inner"></div></div>');
   }
       $('#ex1a').jqm({
           trigger: elem,
           ajax: strUrl,
           closeClass: 'cancel_bt',overlay: 30
       },
       function(h){
          h.w.show();
       },
       function(h){h.w.jqmClose();$('.jqmWindow').empty();});
   }
   catch(e){
       $.log('ERROR: ' + e);

Let me try to explain what is happening, the first snippet is in a function
that is creating a table with three links,  you can see what i am saying at
(http://ov-staging.informationexperts.com/index.htm, just enter anything in
the login and hit enter), edit, delete, reset.  The second snippet builds
out the modal holder and the binds the jpm function/target to the link by
the 'elem'.

Hopefully this helps you out.

--
Benjamin Sterling