On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:46 AM, Joel Birch wrote:

Thanks Rick, all credit for the smooth scroll goes to Stefan Petre,
of course. I like using it over a regular in-page link because it
gives the user a sense of how they got there rather than a
disorienting sudden change. Glad you like the site Rick.

Joel.

I love this smooth scroll, too, and have used it on a few of my own sites. (Thanks, Stefan!) It's one of those effects that is more than just eye candy.

I'd love to hear Klaus's take on this, or any other usability guru out there, but to me the smooth scroll seems much better than the default "quick jump" because of the "disorienting sudden change" that you mention.

--Karl