This may be hijacking the thread, so I'll keep it brief. i agree that
innerHTML is useful, and it is a de-facto standard (like AJAX). I also agree
that whatwg's work is much closer to reality than w3g's, and like I said,
I'm not a fanatic standardista. My point is that it's harder to debug
complicated strings than language constructs, since the language will tell
you there's a syntax error right away. As in
It would take me forever to find that I missed a closing div, and keeping
track of all the quotes is well-nigh impossible. To use my function,
$.dom('div', {Class: 'first'}, ['div',{},['div',{},['span', {style: {color:
getColor()}}]]])
and if I screw up a parenthesis or brace, Firebug will tell me right away.

For simple things ($("<span>Hello</span>") I'll use innerHTML, and certainly
if someone else is taking responsibility for generating the string (as in
AJAX), there's nothing easier than innerHTML.

Danny