Actually when you evaluate a string in the jQuery object, you get an empty
object in return: $("plainText1") becomes the empty object [].

On 2/20/07, Blair Mitchelmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well seeing as it only affects the first and the last 'elements' you
could try testing the first and last elements of the jQuery object
manually. Then you might see why the first element isn't being
recognized as an orphan node when it is and be able to compensate for
that in the filtering function.

-blair