Thanks (again) Kristinn!
You are correct that there should be a tfoot in there as well... I was
abbreviating.

I actually got the table working just now on my own (amazing what happens
when I slow down, look at visual jquery, and go step by step, and trust
myself!)

the working table (tested in safari, FF (mac) and IE6) is here:
http://www.monkeypuzzle.net/testfiles/jquery/Accordion_table/index_2.html

If anyone can improve on this, I'd love to hear it

r.