thanks to all who replied that quickly. a combination of 2 techniques finally
(!) solved my problem (though css only solutions).
however any news on a nice plugin that makes life even easier, please keep
us posted.

the below might be not optimal, but it fixes background images as well as
inline while keeping them clickable and by putting sizingmethod to scale
rather than image it even keeps the intended image dimension fixed. i am
working on a site that uses many effects and this doesnt seem to mess around
with any of them.

thanks again,

<!--[if IE]>
.trans-png {
background:expression('url('+this.currentStyle['backgroundImage'].split('\"')[1]+'")');

filter:expression('progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='
+this.currentStyle['backgroundImage'].split('\"')[1]+')');
}
* html img {
background-image: expression(
this.runtimeStyle.filter =
'progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src="' + this.src + '",
sizingMethod="scale")',
this.runtimeStyle.backgroundImage = 'none',
this.src = 'blank.gif'
);
}
<![endif]-->