Let me clarify my intent:
I have two users, a "Superuser" with only a "superuser" right, and a plain
"User" who may have 1 or many rights.

If the Superuser radio button is selected, then I want the available
permision list to "slideUp", because no other rights need to be selected.
However, if the "User" radio button is selected, then I want to make the
list of possible "user" associated rights visible via "slideDown".

That is why I opted to not use slideToggle because clicking on either radio
button would either show or hide the permission_block depending on its last
state.

Do you see where I am going now? That's why I want to only permit the
slideDown to fire when the condition of the "permission_block" is hidden,
and vice versa for slideUp.

Cheers,
     Christopher.

P.S. I'm using (1) to make the block show or hide itself as fast as
possible.

However, while on the subject... although I'm using
$(document).ready(function() { } to hide the block when a user already has
the "Superuser" right (and shouldn't see the other permissions), I still
briefly see the permissions_block right before it hides itself. I thought it
should already be hidden by the time the page loads itself? Or do I have to
set its css to block:hidden ? Thanks.