On 02/03/07, Klaus Hartl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Brice Burgess schrieb:
> > John Resig wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, not in any way that is universally practical.
> >>
> >> The div:first query is obviously improvable, but when you get into
> >> queries like "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" it becomes a lot less clear.
> >>
> >> I'll think about improving TAG:first/last - as that seems like a
> >> common case, at least.
> >>
> > I see what you're saying. It is too bad there is no native DOM selector
> > that supports an SQL like clause with LIMIT, ORDER BY, and of course
> > compundable "attribute LIKE" support :) .. what would we need jQuery for
> > then though? ;(
>
> It's in the works:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/selectors-api/
>
> But that will take another few years I think. Until then we're lucky to
> have jQuery.
>

> -- Klaus

Knowing how long the W3C takes on recommendations and the lack of
willingness of a certain browser developer to keep up to date with
them (and participate in creating them), it will be a lot longer than
that (if ever).

You could probably implement that with javascript now (preferably in a
way not to depend on any other libraries), but it would not be as fast
as if the browser did it natively.