it's similar to Json, but no field names that get repeated for each record.

you do an ajax request , get the response and split it with "\n", now
you have an array of records, then you split each record with "\t" and
you've got  a 2 dimensional array.. all the data in perhaps half the
size.

if you really want it as an array of objects you need a header record,
which gets split with "/t" then loop thru it assigning the array
elements to an object field.

Does this sound like what you would need for extra light weight
transport? I could draft a plugin, it's not rocket surgery!

On 3/8/07, Daemach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jake, you are famous for this ;)
>
> Sounds great in theory but an example of how to accomplish this and the
> reasoning behind that claim would be very helpful!
>
> I meant lightweight in terms of querying more than page size, by the way.  I
> should have been more clear.
>

> Ⓙⓐⓚⓔ wrote:
> >
> > if you're pushing the limit for 'light weight', consider simple tab
> > delimited data! a simple header and you can convert it to Javascript
> > in a few lines of code! Not as easy as an eval, but the speed will be
> > worth it!
> >
> > On 3/8/07, Daemach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> While discussing json support in Cold Fusion with Rey Bango, I had a
> >> small
> >> flash of insight.  It's a pretty easy matter to take a recordset or any
> >> other structure, serialize it to JSON format and output that string
> >> inside
> >> of an eval() directly in the HTML itself.  With jQuery and the ready()
> >> function when the page loads you could have a client-side dataset ready
> >> go.  Why make ajax calls when you can query a client-side datasource for
> >> things like an auto-complete list?
> >>
> >> So the questions are:
> >>
> >> -- What are the limits the browser can handle in terms of record count
> >> and
> >> still retain a lightweight feel?  (depends on RAM, processor speed - I
> >> know,
> >> but generally...)
> >> -- What would the optimal structure look like for searching given a
> >> function
> >> like an auto-complete form field?
> >> -- Is a "for in" loop the best way to query or is there something more
> >> efficient?
> >> -- What benefits, if any, would this have for filtering/sorting a table?
> >>
> >> Or is this a bad idea to start with?  Obviously ajax still has its place,
> >> but it seems like this concept might work for some things...
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > Ⓙⓐⓚⓔ - יעקב   ʝǡǩȩ   ᎫᎪᏦᎬ

Ⓙⓐⓚⓔ - יעקב   ʝǡǩȩ   ᎫᎪᏦᎬ