Well.. thanks to everyone's help, especially yours, David,
I've finally got a perfectly working solution that is based on
your solution, David.  Thanks to Jorn and Sam, too!

(Just a note:  I've still got one problem to solve.  When a form field has
been left empty and the error message appears, a user can still click
the "Calculate" button and submit the form, which causes a ColdFusion
error due to the lack of the data to make the payment calculation.  How
can I render the button "invalid" or unclickable if there's an error
showing?)

You can see the finished work at http://bodaford.whitestonemedia.com
Click on a photo on the home page to go to the Featured Properties page.
Scroll down until you see the "Click here to Calculate Mortgage." line.
Then you should see the form.

Here's the way I had to modify the code for the plug-in:

errorPlacement: function(error, element) {

        if(element.attr('id') == "Principal") {
           error.appendTo("#principal_error");
                }

        else

        if(element.attr('id') == "Interest") {
           error.appendTo("#interest_error");
        }

        else

        if(element.attr('id') == "Years") {
           error.appendTo("#years_error");
        }
    },

And here's the way I modified the HTML to add a row (instead of a div)
to have something to append the error message to...(This is just the row
for the "Principal" input.  This has to be duplicated for each input.)

                                    padding-right: 4px;
                                    font: Arial Helvetica San-Serif;
                                    font-weight: bold;
                                    font-size: 12px;
                                    text-align: right;">
                                    <label for="Principal">Principal</label>

                                    text-align: left;">
                                    <INPUT id="Principal" Name="Principal"
Type="Text" Value="#Get_Property_Details.Sale_Price#" Size="14"
Class="TextInput01">