When I trie with other elements that You suggested, then the functinality in FF and Safari is broken, no class is added or remooved :(

I placed a $(document).ready function where it functions as it should. On document load the style is added if the html is taller then 700px and it works in all tested browsers (IE,FF & Safari)

$(document).ready(
                 function(){
                                var ys = $('html').height();
                                if(ys>700){
                                        $('#wrap').addClass('over1024');
                  );

This code works while the code in the for the resize() event does not work in IE, it hangs the browser.

Hrvoje