Ah, I think I understand what you're getting at now. Alas, I don't know of anything that would work faster than the $('td:nth-child(n)') selector expression. I'll try to give it some more thought, though, and if I have any ideas, I'll post them. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

--Karl
Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com