Hmm - I'm not sure how or why someone would rely on a hidden element
appearing instantaneously and then animating back to its original state.  I
suppose it's possible, but those have to be rare enough cases that the
benefits to new jQuery converts would take precedence.

Things like animate, fadeTo, toggles, etc. are a different issue.  I'm just
talking about the fadeIn, fadeOut, slideIn and slideOut effects which are
essentially wrappers for the animate function.

I did create a ticket - thanks for the prompt.