when I see the accented A character it tells me that someone is
sending unicode but expecting 8859-1! As I converted everything to
unicode, I've never had this problem.

Is the html page being served as utf-8?
Do you have a publically accessible version of the page? I'd look at
the headers and the jQuery code.

Having to clean it up yourself is a major pain! Just when you think
you've got it somebody type ø! or Ø!

On 3/21/07, Marc Jansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I searched the mailinglist-archives and the wiki but could not find a
> solution to my problem:
>
> I send AJAX requests to an oracle server, which in turn should send
> appropriate XML. E. g. I'm querying for streets starting with the string
> 'sch'. The server answers with an ISO-8859-1 encoded XML, and the
> umlauts in the response (e. g.'schönweg, schloßalle' etc) are correctly
> represented within my UI.
>
> But when typing in an umlaut, not the umlaut gets sended to my
> PHP-script, which talks with Oracle, but a representation of the umlaut
> (perhaps because of: "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" ?) gets sended.
> 'ö' gets transformed to 'ö%', etc. With this string representation a
> query like this:
>
> SELECT streetname FROM street WHERE streetname LIKE 'schö%'
>
> does return no rows... yet there are rows starting with 'schö'...
>
> I could possibly transform the given value again, after transmission to
> my script, but I do not know how.
>
> I tried to turn off the  "processData" attribute using $.ajaxSetup(),
> but then everything crashed.
>
> Maybe someone can point me the right direction, any help is highly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -- Marc

Ⓙⓐⓚⓔ - יעקב   ʝǡǩȩ   ᎫᎪᏦᎬ