base2 is made by Dean Edwards - he's an incredibly smart JavaScript
hacker, and a huge jQuery fan. I respect his work a lot.

The trick is that his library, which only does selectors and basic DOM
additions, comes in at 20kb - the same size as jQuery complete (which
includes Ajax, Effects, etc.)

I have some speed improvements sitting around that need to be merged
in and tested some more. I'm hoping to get them in for jQuery 1.1.3.
When I last tested, the improvements helped to bring us up to around
the level of DOMQuery. Which, I feel, is a good place to be.

I'll be sure to post an update once I've tested these changes further.

--John