"One of the cornerstones of Carpentry teaching is the use of code-alongs.  Like a sing-along, a code-along is something you do enthusiastically as a small child, roll your eyes at as a teenager, and return to fondly as an adult.  Unlike 'git escape subtree' or 'git skim head', their use does not imperil your immortal soul."

On 2018-10-22 10:21 a.m., Lex Nederbragt wrote:
Thanks for the 'code-along' suggestion. I like it, it sounds great! However, I am not sure how to use it in practice to describe our teaching method as it seems to be meant as adjective, not a noun. For example, we currently write:

"One of the cornerstones of Software and Data Carpentry teaching is live coding"

We can’t hardly change that to ‘is code-along’. We could use ‘is a code-along style of interactive programming’, but that becomes too long again… ‘is code-along sessions’ doesn’t work too well either. Oh, and ‘is code-along live coding’ sounds weird.

So I like it as an adjective describing the style of teaching, but feel I’m still looking for a better noun, or better adjective between ‘live’ and ‘coding’.

Lex