Thanks! Your comment reminds me that I need to add some examples and
discussion of using pip together with conda. Can you elaborate a bit more
about using jupyter notebooks with conda?  I have some examples and
exercises showing how to install jupyterlab with conda. I could add an
example that shows how to install the Jupyter notebook.

conda install --name some-existing-env notebook=5.7.*

Is this what you are looking for? Or did you have something else in mind?