Hi Colin,

Whew! It's taken me longer to respond than I intended. Your message got us (on
the staff side) thinking deeply about what we should be doing better to make it
easy for the community to share resources, and to provide a clear pathway for
lessons being officially adopted as Carpentries lessons.

Your mention, especially, of the sharing-lessons Etherpad prompted me to look
at all the places on our websites and other documentation where we give
outdated and contradictory information about how to share lesson ideas and
materials. Our Curriculum Team (me and François) have been working on cleaning
up some of that outdated info over the past week, but it's still a work in
progress!

You were absolutely correct in creating an issue in carpentrieslab. That is
where we've been directing people. The vision behind carpentrieslab is that it
will provide a "repository of high-quality, community-reviewed, discoverable
lessons". While we're working on developing the review process, however, it's
become clear that people need a way to share materials even very early in the
development stage. To start facilitating this sharing, we've created The
Carpentries Incubator
<https://github.com/carpentries-incubator/proposals/blob/master/README.md>. The
Incubator will serve as a single point of entry for lessons or ideas at any
stage in the development process.  Any lesson that uses The Carpentries lesson
template, follows our Code of Conduct, and is licensed either CC-BY or CC-0 can
be hosted in The Carpentries Incubator. Once we get the review process up and
running, reviewed lessons will be transferred to The Carpentries Lab and will
be officially endorsed by The Carpentries as high quality resources.

François has put together a flow-chart to help clarify the pathways that shared
lesson materials can take in our community.

For the moment, I've transferred your proposal
<https://github.com/carpentries-incubator/proposals/issues/19> to the Incubator
proposals repo. Since you've already used the lesson template, I think the only
remaining "to-do" items to get your lesson hosted on the Incubator are to
confirm that the materials follow the CoC, and to add one of the appropriate CC
licenses. Could you ping me in the issue when those are complete or if you have
any questions? After that, we'll be able to transfer your repo to the Incubator
and give it a carpentries-incubator URL.

Thank you for prompting us to continue working on making this process smoother
for the community. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Erin