Greetings, Good Carpentry Folks
a few words of intro about be at the bottom of this post
wanted to quickly suggest that  for all lessons, (software, data, libraries )
it could be beneficial to provide an overview of the datasets being imported.
I have already attended a few carpentry courses - all so excellent in different
ways  - but the curricula  jump straight into import dataset/start hacking
dataset and learning commands/doing exerices/  This is good, but a bit
mechanical.  I suggest that when importing data sets for the lessons,
instructors should provide an overview of what the data files are, what they
contain, how are they structured. The lesson should end successfully imho when
the learner can use the commands  and functions to query and manipulate their
own data sets. For this purpose, the lesson should also include how to prepare
your data files for processing. with some examples, I have not yet seen this in
the curruculum. Again, this is NOT A COMPLAINT! I am enjoying thoroughly the
opportunity to get up to speed with all this wonderful stuff,  Please consider
this post as MY CONTRIBUTION as I have completed instructor training this year
and I hope to checkout before the end of the year.  Cheerios. PDM
I joined recently and so glad I did . The Carpentries is excellent and doing my
best to come to grips with the vast amount of resources.  I am a systems
engineer b, did and  MSc in UK in 2001 (knowledge modelling)  researched data
structures in my work, taught various courses in IT at graduate level and
completed a PhD in 2012 in  Open data for systems engineering (tough one) I
collected and analyzed data using google spreadsheets,  approx 100 samples. and
have experience handling data in the thousands units. The way the data is
structured/accessed is very important (that s my background) and will impact
the effort/cost /outcome of the data analysis. I look forward to continue to
learn as much as I can!!
This list is for the purpose of general discussion about The Carpentries
including community activities, upcoming events, and announcements.  Some other
lists you may also be interested in include discuss-hpc, discuss-r, and  our
local groups. Visit https://carpentries.topicbox.com/groups/ to learn more. All
activity on this and other Carpentries spaces should abide by The Carpentries
Code of Conduct found here:
https://docs.carpentries.org/topic_folders/policies/code-of-conduct.html

The Carpentries: discuss
https://carpentries.topicbox.com/groups/discuss/T6ca7ebed8451d4e7-Mfd54320c8f38dff53f730163