Hi all! My name is Susan, and I’m the current PM on a project at Superbloom (a
U.S. nonprofit focused on design and research - formerly Simply Secure.) We are
researching how scientific OS software teams understand, consider, and
undertake usability and design initiatives. Please read on to learn more about
this work and how you can participate!

 *tl:dr* - The Sloan-funded ‘Usable Software Ecosystem Research’ (USER) project
is seeking research participants to provide insights on design and usability
practices within the OS scientific software ecosystem. We have a live survey
<https://tools.simplysecure.org/survey/index.php?r=survey/index&sid=117891&newtest=Y&lang=en>
 and are hosting interviews through January. Both activities are compensated.
Reach out to us at user-project@superbloom.design if you’re interested in
interviewing or have any questions.

**More about “Usable Software Ecosystem Research” (USER)
**
Supported by a grant from the Sloan Foundation, we are investigating:
 * how norms in academic, science, and/or open source working environments
affect the choices teams make around their users and different kinds of design
interventions
 * how team dynamics and trust affects those choices
 * what teams would need to be interested in or able to prioritize usability in
their work.

**Ways to participate
**
We are interested in hearing from a broad range of maintainers, developers,
designers, scientists, researchers, funders, and other stakeholders.
*
SURVEY:
<https://tools.simplysecure.org/survey/index.php?r=survey/index&sid=117891&newtest=Y&lang=en>*
 This is a 35 question, ~20 minute survey aimed at understanding how and why
scientific OS software projects do/do not think about usability and design. We
are offering an optional $15 USD for your time via Tremendous gift card.

*INTERVIEWS:* Interviews will be 45-60 minutes, optionally compensated at $50
USD in the form of a gift card. Should you agree to interview, we will share a
booking link and consent + reimbursement form which you must sign to
participate. Please reach out to us at user-project@superbloom.design to
indicate interest. Interviews will be held through the end of January.
This list is for the purpose of general discussion about The Carpentries
including community activities, upcoming events, and announcements.  Some other
lists you may also be interested in include discuss-hpc, discuss-r, and  our
local groups. Visit https://carpentries.topicbox.com/groups/ to learn more. All
activity on this and other Carpentries spaces should abide by The Carpentries
Code of Conduct found here:
https://docs.carpentries.org/topic_folders/policies/code-of-conduct.html

The Carpentries: discuss
https://carpentries.topicbox.com/groups/discuss/T163b172de6174ff1-M87c8cecced7e44e3b1cdacd7