[This message is particularly relevant to Instructors teaching the Data
Carpentry Ecology curriculum]

Hi everyone,

The Data Carpentry Ecology Curriculum Advisory Committee recently approved the
adoption of a redesigned version of the Data Analysis and Visualisation in R
for Ecologists lesson
<https://carpentries.org/blog/2024/03/dc-r-ecology-adoption/>. The current
version <https://datacarpentry.org/R-ecology-lesson/> of the lesson will be
replaced with the new content on 8 July 2024.

## For Instructors and Workshop Hosts
This announcement is important especially if you are planning a Data Carpentry
Ecology workshop in the next few months. The new version
<https://datacarpentry.org/R-ecology-lesson-alternative/> has received
excellent feedback from those who have taught it so far, and I recommend that
you try using it even if you are planning to teach the curriculum before the
transition date.

## Lesson Maintenance
We are looking for volunteers to join a team of Maintainers for the lesson. If
you are interested in getting involved with maintaining the lesson as the new
version gets established, please respond to the call for Maintainer Onboarding
<https://carpentries.org/blog/2024/03/maintainer-onboarding-2024/> before 5th
April.

## How Will This Work?
The redesigned version is currently in a fork of the official DC lesson.
Changes will be merged into the source repository on 8 July. You can track our
progress towards that in the relevant issue on the lesson repository
<https://github.com/datacarpentry/R-ecology-lesson/issues/886>.

## Will Other Lessons be Redesigned?
The adoption of a redesigned R lesson raises the prospect of a similar update
to the Python lesson <https://datacarpentry.org/python-ecology-lesson/> in the
DC Ecology curriculum, to ensure that both “flavours” of the curriculum teach
equivalent skills and concepts. I believe the Python lesson could greatly
benefit from being updated, and I would be delighted to support a community
effort to do so. Please get in touch <mailto:tobyhod...@carpentries.org> if
that is something you might be interested in contributing to.

Similar updates could also be prompted in the DC Social Sciences curriculum
<https://datacarpentry.org/socialsci-workshop/>, which was originally based on
the lessons for ecologists.

Furthermore, the Software Carpentry Governance Committee recently mentioned
their plans
<https://carpentries.org/blog/2024/03/lpgc-response-and-swc-governance-changes/#what-this-means-for-the-community>
 for a push to update curriculum this year.

Finally, the Library Carpentry Curriculum Advisors have been coordinating the
adoption of new lessons into their Extended Curriculum
<https://carpentries.org/blog/2024/03/global-ai-lesson-sprint/>in recent months
as well. So there are efforts towards updating curriculum within all three
lesson programs right now: if you are interested in curriculum development and
want to help us make lessons even better, this is a great time to get involved!

All the best,

Toby

--

Dr Toby Hodges (he/him)
Director of Curriculum

Schedule a meeting with me: https://calendly.com/tobyhodges

This list is for the purpose of general discussion about The Carpentries
including community activities, upcoming events, and announcements.  Some other
lists you may also be interested in include discuss-hpc, discuss-r, and  our
local groups. Visit https://carpentries.topicbox.com/groups/ to learn more. All
activity on this and other Carpentries spaces should abide by The Carpentries
Code of Conduct found here:
https://docs.carpentries.org/topic_folders/policies/code-of-conduct.html

The Carpentries: discuss
https://carpentries.topicbox.com/groups/discuss/T504f93a985b35256-Mc1bc4a488eda59448533c533