Hi Mike!

> /kernel/drv/bge.conf.  However, there didn't seem to be any
> MaxFrameSize or other obvious things to modify in the driver
> configuration file. [...]

The man page for bge in Solaris 10 says to set the variable like so:

    default_mtu=9000;

Have you tried that?  I would be surprised if it were any different
in Illumos.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: v...@bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"