From: Gabriele Bulfon [mailto:discuss@lists.illumos.org]
Sent: 16 April 2014 11:44
To: discuss@lists.illumos.org
Subject: [discuss] Dell fluid cache for SAN

Hi,

I'd like to know your opinion on this new Dell product:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/dell-fluid-cache-for-san?c=us&l=en&s=biz

Is there any possibility to reproduce it as a zfs based solution?
Here are a couple of posts by one of the engineers who worked on it:

"I doubt ZFS can share in-server PCIe SSD's over the network using RDMA (RoCE /
IB) for fault-tolerant write-back cache on 8 servers simultaneously."

"Every server has local PCIe SSDs used for caching. Dirty blocks are replicated
to other nodes during write-back caching until the dirty data can be flushed to
the backing store. We provide virtual block devices locally (our VMWare
solution uses iSCSI / iSER to expose the virtual block devices to guest VMs,
our bare-metal solution just creates local block devices -- no iSCSI involved).
Cache blocks are distributed among the nodes using a round-robin-like
algorithm. No multicast involved. Writes to the backing store only happen on a
single cache server -- whichever cache server owns the block does the write.
Block clients read/write blocks directly to whichever cache server owns the
block -- locally or remotely via RDMA over ethernet (RoCE). Cache servers
read/write to the backing store via multi-initiator iSCSI or FC SAN."

[Image removed by sender.]<http://www.sonicle.com>

Gabriele Bulfon - Sonicle S.r.l.

Tel +39 028246016 Int. 30 - Fax +39 028243880
via Santa Maria Valle 3 - 20123 - Milano - Italy
http://www.sonicle.com

illumos-discuss | Archives<https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/182180/=now>
[Image removed by sender.]
<https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/182180/24506464-f4272eae> |

[Image removed by sender.]<http://www.listbox.com>

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential and
are solely for the person(s) at the e-mail address(es) above. If you are not an
addressee, you may not disclose, distribute, copy or use this e-mail, and we
request that you send an e-mail to ad...@stirling-dynamics.com and delete this
e-mail.  Stirling Dynamics Ltd. accepts no legal liability for the contents of
this e-mail including any errors, interception or interference, as internet
communications are not secure.  Any views or opinions presented are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Stirling Dynamics
Ltd. Registered In England No. 2092114 Registered Office: 26 Regent Street,
Clifton, Bristol. BS8 4HG
VAT no. GB 464 6551 29

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses MessageLabs.