IMO host protected area is a crummy hack designed to allow you to get better
performance from a cheap consumer drive.  Modern enterprise SSDs shouldn't need
this hack.  The cheap drives are cheap precisely because they lack sufficient
internal overprovisioning.

Yet one more reason not to aim for the cheapest possible solution.  (There are
actually other more important reasons but that is another topic best covered
elsewhere.)

Anyway if you need this hack you can get it by setting ZFS reservations or
partitioning your drive.  Either works without needing HPAs.

I will always advocate just spend the money for a decent drive instead of low
balling.  I haven't done the math but if you think about over provisioning this
way I think you wind up giving back a bit of your cost savings in a higher cost
per GB as you lose that extra space.

Usually the cheap drives have lower performance too.  You may find that in such
circumstances it is better to use a small number of SSDs to optimize a larger
number of hdds. Good enterprise hdds have streaming performance not very unlike
lower end SSDs, similar or lower costs, higher reliability, and a couple of
SSDs and a bit of ram can do a lot to mitigate the terrible random workload
performance from such drives.

Sent from my iPhone