On Aug 20, 2016, at 12:27 PM, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> If Sun had understood that it could provide a reliable and user friendly Unix
> desktop, I am sure it
> would be alive and kicking today.

Apple had a server hardware product for several years and still has a server
OS. But if anyone won the Unix desktop war it's them. Tech alone does not make
for a successful business. And Sun's attempts at making a viable desktop OS
were never well executed. In the late 90s when the Sun Rays first came out my
team built several desktop UI replacements for the horrible CDE that they clung
to for far too long. But guess who ended up using them the most? The sysadmin
team. The rest of the end users didn't give a shit -- they just needed access
to the tools required to do their job.