 Subject: [discuss] OpenSolaris Boot Failure
 To: discuss@lists.illumos.org
 Date: Wednesday, August 31, 2016, 5:26 PM

 I am experiencing an inabilty to boot
 to the Gnome desktop on OpenSolaris 2009.06.
 This was most likely caused by powering off without shutting
 down first, although I
 have done that many times before with no problems. I can
 login to the control con-
 sole and I have tried the command "bootadm update-archive",
 but that did not work.
 I am able to get a live desktop in Gnome using my original
 OpenSolaris CD, as well
 as OI Hipster. Is there any way to access my files from
 either of those?
 It was suggested to me on the openindiana discuss-list that
 I install OI Hipster and
 migrate my files over. However, the installer only allows
  one Solaris partition and
 warns that it will overwrite the data. I do not have a clone
 of my hard disk, so I need
 to make sure that there will be no data loss.
 Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.