On 2016-11-14 12:59 PM, Josh Coombs wrote:
So, to follow up with my own notes: The issue appears to be an order of operations issue on my end.

When I setup CIFS shares I do the following:

- Create the ZFS set
- - casesensitivity is mixed
- - nbmand on
- - sharesmb=name=share-name

- Set initial ACL so AD Admins have total control
- - /usr/bin/chmod A=group:2147483664:read_data/write_data/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr/execute/delete_child/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete/read_acl/write_acl/write_owner/synchronize:file_inherit/dir_inherit:allow /pool/zfs-share/.zfs/shares/share-name - - /usr/bin/chmod A=group:2147483664:read_data/write_data/append_data/read_xattr/write_xattr/execute/delete_child/read_attributes/write_attributes/delete/read_acl/write_acl/write_owner/synchronize:file_inherit/dir_inherit:allow /pool/zfs-share

- Adjust security from there via Windows client

When I adjust the ACLs via Windows, /pool/zfs-share/.zfs/shares/share-name does not get touched. In this case it was still left as administrat...@local.ad.domain, while the ACL for /pool/zfs-share matched what I expected. This meant my problem user, who was a member of the target group but not in Administrators couldn't connect. Once I updated .zfs/shares/share-name to an ACL that included the problem user, issue solved.

I need to dig more to determine the significance of .zfs/shares/share-name to determine if I can safely default to an ACL that covers all authenticated domain uses or if I should keep it narrow.

Josh C