I thought it worth giving a quick update on progress in Tribblix.

A new release, Milestone 19 aka 0m19, is now available for download.

http://www.tribblix.org/download.html

The major milestone this time around is the new loader, which seems to
work just fine (as it should, but it's nice to confirm this in practice).

There's a long list of new and updated packages - just keeping up
with the ongoing deluge of releases in all the open source projects
out there is a job in itself.

A background project is to gradually enable 64-bit builds of packages
where relevant. This means shipping both 32 and 64-bit binaries and
libraries, not necessarily enabling isaexec. The main intent is to have
64-bit versions of everything building successfully so that when they're
needed they're already available.

Meanwhile, Tribblix should work just fine on older hardware - either
old 32-bit x86 systems, or generally somewhat more resource
constrained than the multi-gigabyte RAM requirements you might
see elsewhere.

I'm working on getting the SPARC version up to date too. I'm hoping
to get a Milestone 18 release out shortly. Progress on SPARC is
slower than I would like for several reasons: the systems are
just plain slow (my SunBlade 2000 that I use for building packages
takes forever compared to my regular Core i7 desktop, and the
T5140 takes about as long to run POST as my normal machine
does to do an illumos build); the hardware is noisy and power-hungry
so it doesn't spend that much time turned on (although it's been handy
on some of the colder winter days); I'm still working on getting the
baseline packages solid (libxml2 is about the last one left that I
still have to regenerate); and I still need to make Tribblix on SPARC
self-hosting (I currently build illumos for SPARC on a T5140 that's
a cobbled together by hand mix of OpenSXCE, Tribblix, illumos, and
hand-installed bodges) - the reason I can't jump straight to the same
level for SPARC as I'm using for x86 is that illumos no longer builds
on that old box (and it's not the loader, it's changes in some of the
native build stuff). It's basically that old limitation, time.

--
-Peter Tribble