SamQFS is packaged and maintained by one of the OpenIndiana Maintainers and used in Production with OmniOS IIRC.

-Till

On 14.11.23 01:31, Gea wrote:
On 11/13/2023 9:56 PM, Gergő Doma wrote:
How about SamFS <https://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/community/samqfs/>?
/ SamFS is a good solution, if you:

have a lot of rarely used data
you wish to have backup copies of your data, best on tape
prefer to secure your data by WORM
Notes about this release
This version is updated in relation to the original version released by Sun Microsystems 2009:

current OHSM dumps can be restored, NFSv4 ACL's or LTFS information will be ignored/

As far as I can see, SAMFS is a archival tiering solution good for cold data on tape. It is a whole different filesystem that uses its own disks. You can use ZFS zvols but it is not ZFS,

and

How integrates this with a ZFS filesystem and ZFS properties, services, shares and properties or NFS4 ACL? I suppose the NFS or kernelbased SMB server with NFS4 ACL and Windows AD SID as a filesystem property will not work as usual.

SAMFS may be a solution if you look on tiering of files from disk to tape or fast disk to slower disk, not a solution that integrates with the NFS/SMB server.

btw

Has anybody tried SAMFS on OmniOS? There is a repo.
I have not find the time to check in detail but SAMFS seems nice for other use cases

pkg set-publisher -P -g http://pkg.toc.de/samqfs/ samqfs.omnios
pkg install samqfs

https://illumos.topicbox.com/groups/illumos-de/Tdaef5c0e1b06f0f4/fraosug-online-meeting-open-source-samfs-dienstag-17-10-2023-19-uhr
https://www.storage-insider.de/sam-ein-filesystem-das-sich-auch-im-archiv-auskennt-a-172215/?p=2
https://fraosug.de/assets/98/12336/SAMFS-Vortrag_von_Carsten_Grzemba.pdf

*illumos <https://illumos.topicbox.com/latest>* / illumos-discuss / see discussions <https://illumos.topicbox.com/groups/discuss> + participants <https://illumos.topicbox.com/groups/discuss/members> + delivery options <https://illumos.topicbox.com/groups/discuss/subscription> Permalink <https://illumos.topicbox.com/groups/discuss/Ta9815f4d6c901308-Me62fc6ec9dc3e6707e720a9e>